Since yesterday I have been having a very strange error in Visual Studio Community 2015 where as soon as I open a solution VS crashes with no error. Now the only thing that has changed since yesterday was that I installed a large number of Windows updates that had been waiting for probably several months! I checked my installed updates but found nothing directly related to VS. I did find an update that made changes to .net but was unsure if this was related. The error I received was as follows;Continue reading Visual Studio Community 2015 Crashing on Startup
After upgrading to Visual Studio 2015, Multi-Device Hybrid Apps (Cordova based apps) have a new project structure and are incompatible with VS. Microsoft have released a how-to guide here for upgrading your projects but due to it not being visible on search engines, being a little bit lacking in depth and taking me about half an hour to find the instructions – I have decided to replicate it here (with some extra details missing from the original). So, in order to update your previous project to the new structure, follow these steps;Continue reading Migrating Multi-Device Hybrid App (CTP3/3.1) to Visual Studio 2015 Apache Cordova App
After doing some work with Selenium to perform some automated testing of a number of web applications and websites, myself and the team at Jatech came to the conclusion that the reports were not attractive enough to present to clients and thus embarked on creating a more attractive and responsive report.Continue reading NUnit HTML Report Generator
I came across and issue today after doing a clean install of Windows and reinstalling AppFabric where the Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Caching.Client.dll was missing from the installed files. The dll is used to interact with the distributed AppFabric Cache in .net so it was important I got it working.Continue reading Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Caching.Client.dll Missing from AppFabric 1.1 Installation
I spent the morning writing a Transport Agent for Exchange 2010 (another story!) to log some emails to disk. As it was on a remote server and remote debugging wasn’t possible, I decided to log some details to the event log. Now this must be the first time I’ve had to write the logging mechanism myself because I’ve never come across this before. When you try to use the EventLog.WriteEntry method you need to pass the source of the message (i.e the application name). So when I did this I get the following exception:
Continue reading Event Viewer Logging in C#
The source was not found, but some or all event logs could not be searched. To create the source, you need permission to read all event logs to make sure that the new source name is unique. Inaccessible logs: Security.